Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Fortune Teller - dress rehearsal

THE DOOKERER (THE FORTUNE TELLER) ``Do you want to know the future, lady?” She has ten gold teeth and five gold rings, Her tent is dark and cool inside. From behind the beaded curtain Comes her wheedling voice and Gold encrusted claw. Beckoning ``Do you want to hear your fortune, master?” Her father was a seventh son. When he died, Embraced in flame and hoarded riches, She tore her silken scarves and wailed. Then searched the ground for golden coins Scattered from her broken bracelets. ``Do you want to learn the dookerin, child?” Hidden in her musty tent I hear This one and her burning for a man, That one and his hunger for a quid. ``Pity the fools, their beds are cold, Their purses slim. See lovers, wealth, Sudden windfalls – telling fortunes Is only telling them what they want to hear.” posted by Gail Kavanagh Believer said... There's been a gypsy woman coming to our library computer lab for the past week. I can hear these words coming directly from her mouth every time I see her. I don't know which is more amazing--that we have a gypsy using a computer in New Jersey, or that you (from where?) have captured her so completely. Lisa Phoenix said... Found myself a bit bemused, as i was the family fortuneteller. Now i only read cards for myself - trying to learn to make my own luck. Gail Kavanagh said... (Edited because that too many typos, even for this hour!)I am in Australia, Believer. The gipsy woman of the poem wanted to teach my mother the dookerin. When I was about two years old, she found me hiding in her tent. Luckily she took it in good humour - I'm not certain why I hid in there. Maybe I thought she really could do magic! But I have never forgotten her, she has become another persona for me. I have chosen to wear her mask at the banquet. I don't remember her name, but the one I have given her is Traveller Rose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home